Monday, January 26, 2009

Walkin' and Talkin' Food!

You have to admire a man that, at 94, is still working out twice a day! Jack LaLanne is a legend in the fitness world! Haven't heard of him? Maybe you should take a look! The "Godfather of Fitness", as he is often referred to, is known for starting the first health club, developing the first models of basic health equipment tht is still found in health clubs today and inspiring people to "Get up, Work out, Feel Better" since 1951 through his tv show.

Oh yeah, and he also likes to swim! Have you ever swam from Fisherman's Wharf to Alcatraz, handcuffed? Jack did it three times! At 41, 60 and 65! Not to mention, the second time he was shackled and towed a 1,000 POUND boat! How about swimming the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge - while towing thousands of pounds of boats AND doing it UNDERWATER! And did I already say he was 61? I can barely hold my breath and get my own body across the pool twice, let alone pull boats, never take a breath and fight currants-I'm getting tired just thinking about it!

And at age 70, he pulled 70 boats with 70 people in them, while again being shackled and handcuffed for 1.5 miles from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary.

Mr. Lalanne recently spoke to the staff at Fullerton College and reiterated the need to teach kids about living a healthy life style. Want to know his secrets? He's more than happy to share with anyone who will listen!

  • He only eats at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. with no between-meal snacking.
  • "People should exercise a half hour, three times a week," LaLanne said. "And when you work out, don't take a rest."
  • Also, he changes his routine every 30 days to avoid monotony.
Be inspired by visiting Jack's website that lists all of his feats and accomplishments! I'm off to get a half hour of excercise in before I run to the store to stock up on healthy eats for my 7 pm meal! Of course I'll also buy some more Eggology for my 10 am breakfast tomorrow! If I can look even half as good as he does at 94, I'm IN!

"The food you eat today, is walking and talking tomorrow!"

No comments: