Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dani Spies Weighs In on Dieting

A friend of mine just forwarded me an eNewsletter from Dani Spies (pictured on the left) - the popular Health & Food Coach and Fitness Trainer. She featured an interesting article in it about dieting - America's favorite topic! The title of the article sums it up "Why Weight? Diets Don't Work". I thought, awesome, she's going to tell me that I can eat everything and still look like her! Well, not really (more on that later).

She does have some great points about diets:

  • Diets don’t work because each person is unique: how could one diet be right for everyone?

  • Diets don’t work because they are extreme solutions

  • Diets don’t work because they are too restrictive

Dani believes that "balance and a sustainable weight are your body’s natural state" and that there is "no such thing as a quick fix". Slowing-down, eating a home-cooked meal, listening to your inner wisdom and feeding yourself wisely are her great suggestions for keeping your body healthy and stabilizing your weight.

So my take-home message is that I can eat what I want, but I must be mindful about it (within moderation, as my mother would say!). Remember, as the old saying goes - you are what you eat. Thanks, Dani, for an inspiring article ... I'm off to eat broccoli and hummus but you can read the article in it's entirety here.


No comments: